厂牌
Sunbird
发行时间
2008年02月14日
专辑类别
录音室专辑

专辑介绍

by Stanton Swihart

The musical relationship between country legend Willie Nelson and underheralded Austin songwriter Kimmie Rhodes had existed for years -- most recently, the two had dueted twice on Rhodes' 2002 solo album Love Me Like a Song (the lovely title track and &We've Done This Before,& both also included here), yet they had teamed as early as 1996, on both Rhodes' West Texas Heaven and Nelson's Just One Love albums. On Picture in a Frame, however, their musical simpatico reached an apotheosis. It is one of the most enjoyable albums in either of their careers, which is saying a great deal in both cases. In addition to pairing up a couple outstanding performers -- both, in their inimitable ways, outlaws to the country mainstream -- the album combines the best of numerous country & western worlds: classic and contemporary, rural versus urban, R&B/jazz-influenced and folk-based, internationally renowned superstardom and best-kept local secret. Best of all, though, it brought together a loose, intimate little acoustic ensemble to play a superior set of songs. Rhodes did much of the heavy lifting, contributing two exclusive compositions (&Just One Love& and &I Just Drove By&) and one clipped from her theatrical production Small Town Gift (the closing &Rhinestone Highway&). Nelson added a pair of his own, the brand-new, and choice, &It Always Will Be& and a moving version of &Valentine& from Across the Borderline. The Rodney Crowell classic &'Til I Gain Control Again,& long a Nelson live staple, is given a gorgeous rebirth here, with its stately gait and life-scarred grace. And the album title is supplied by the Tom Waits song, transformed into a tear-jerking, slow-burning tribute by these two inspiring artists.

最新简评(共1条)